I read books, watch television, observe cats, go for walks, relax with family. Scroll down for more images!
My main areas of interest/expertise are philosophy (media and technology), cultural theory (sport and nationalism), and Scandinavian studies (particularly contemporary Norwegian literature).
Here’s a bit about my background, education, and what I do in the academic community.
Some places I’ve worked
- Wyższa Szkoła Bankowa, Gdańsk (2022-2023): Adjunct Lecturer in English and Linguistics;
- University of Gdańsk (2013-2016): Visiting Lecturer in Scandinavian Studies;
- Roehampton University (2004): Visiting Lecturer in Sports Studies;
- University of kwaZulu/Natal (1998-2001): Adjunct Lecturer in English and Cultural Studies;
- University of Minnesota (1995-1997): Adjunct Teacher in Scandinavian Studies;
- Various public schools in and around Oslo (2002-2012): Teacher, languages and social science;
- Dagbladet, daily newspaper (1993-2000): Journalist in the news and entertainment sections.
Thank you. I really enjoyed your lectures (they were one of my favourites) and I appreciate the opportunity I had, to learn with your help.Student (2023)
- PhD (Media Philosophy): European Graduate School, 2017;
Dissertation: “Perversion’s Beyond: life with mediatization,” supervised by Prof. Wolfgang Schirmacher. Available in paperback from Atropos Press and on Amazon.com.
- PhD (Cultural Theory): University of Roehampton, 2012;
Dissertation: “Signifying the Body: sport, nation and the cultural analysis of P. Bourdieu,” directed and supervised by Prof. Stephen Wagg. Free download from Roehampton University’s repository. Also available in expanded edition on Amazon.com.
- MA (Scandinavian Studies and English): University of Minnesota, 1997;
- Cand.mag. (BA): University of Oslo and Tromsø, 1994;
- PPU (Practical Pedagogical Education): University of Oslo, 2011.
- British Philosophy of Sport Association;
- International Society for Research on Solitude;
- Association for Cultural Studies;
- Society for the Advancement of Scandinavian Studies (SASS).
- Inscriptions, a peer-reviewed journal for contemporary thought on philosophy, psycho-analysis, and the arts, Editor-in-Chief (2018 to present);
Thanks so much. Working with Inscriptions has been a tremendous pleasure.Gray Kochhar-Lindgren, Director, Wild Studios Consulting; Honorary Professor, University of Hong Kong (2023)
- Conference organiser for the Ereignis Conference, Kierkegaard: Acts of philosophy (2022) and Event and Becoming (2021).
Thank you for a conference that more than met all expectations, both in terms of organization and content. All the talks were at a really high professional level. It’s not an exaggeration to say that it’s the best I’ve experienced for the last many years.Professor Jørgen Veisland, University of Gdańsk (2022)